Gain skills to work in a wide range of community service environments
The Sheridan’s Social Service Worker Program provides you with the skills and knowledge to help struggling people work through their challenges and enjoy more stable and satisfying lives. Success in the program requires that you be open to the specific issues and contexts of people with various racial, cultural and ethnic backgrounds. This award-winning program prepares you to:
- Conduct effective assessments
- Manage interventions
- Develop evaluation strategies relevant to the clients' needs
- Work with government agencies to navigate regulations
- Become fully aware of the services available and how to deliver them
- Understand the scope of your practice and when (and where) to refer clients
Professors representing a broad range of social service fields including family therapy, policy development and social work teach the Social Service Worker diploma program. Each holds considerable real world experience. You'll learn through:
- Seminar presentations with class interaction
- Class projects that include developing plans for starting and running a service organization
- Laboratory practicum that simulates the Year 2 practicum situation to give students a solid skills foundation for their upcoming experience in the field
- Guest speaker presentations from those active in the field
Get Real World Experience Through Practical
The Social Service Worker Program maintains connections with hundreds of organizations who welcome our students for their Year 2 practicum placements. These include community-based organizations, group homes, children’s aid organizations, youth centres and many others. You'll complete over 600 hours of field placement in a social service setting reinforcing the practical skills you’ve learned in class.
When you graduate from the Social Service Worker Program, you are eligible for admission to the Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers. As a member of this body, you can use the title “Registered Social Service Worker.” For additional details, visit www.ocswssw.org.
The Social Service Worker Program maintains linkages with a number of universities, which offer further educational opportunities for our graduates.
The Social Service Worker Program is located at the Davis Campus in Brampton, Ontario and at the Trafalgar Road Campus in Oakville, Ontario.